Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Proprietary software do not have backdoors

Some people in have an innate fear of closed source. The argument go this way is closed software is bad, because the vendor might have put some backdoors in there. Mmmm. Are you sure open source software do not have backdoors? I’m not. I install Linux on my servers without recompilation of source code files. I use the version compiled by Linux vendor. I don’t know what in there. The source code and compiled version may be different. Any way you can debug closed code and be sure that there are no any backdoors.

Most of users do not look at source code. Most of software developers do not analyze open source files. I don’t have a time to look in other code to see what is wrong. I trust to Microsoft! I trust to Adobe. I trust to other big companies. They don’t have a reason to include the backdoors in their programs. Hackers will know about it. Professional hacker could find backdoor without debugging. To do it you need a sniffer and firewall to find abnormal connections from your computer to any other servers in the Internet.

Excellent post about the problem was published by Joanna Rutkowska: Closed Source Conspiracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment